How to measure and plan for your new furniture
When it comes to creating the home of your dreams, a little planning goes a long way. In fact, space planning is a key service provided by professional interior designers. To make the most of your space, you can plan your furniture placement using our Room Planner. Creating a scale drawing of your floorplan will help you select furnishings of the right size and shape while keeping all the room elements in proportion.
Build Your Room
It’s easy to create your room in our Room Planner.
First, choose the product that interests you from our selection of sofas, sectionals, chairs, sleepers and theatre seating.
Now, you can begin adding furniture! Select from the available pieces at the bottom of the room planner to create sectionals and custom layouts. To turn a piece, reset the room, and toggle measurements, use your toolbar at the top.
Once you’re satisfied, save your room to your phone or print it out to bring your layout with you as you shop!
Refine Your Design
Need to know how much room you’ll have between your sofa and chair? Use the measuring tool to draw a line between objects and find the dimension. You can also click on Room Info to see the dimensions of the furnishings you’ve selected.
- Leave 16-20 inches between a sofa and cocktail table. Be sure to allow for any reclining seating.
- Approximately 22 inches is a comfortable walkway between objects.
- Allow 36 inches of walking room for high traffic areas and frequently used pathways.
Here are a few quick tips to keep in mind as you design your dream space:
- Symmetrical layouts (arrangements of furnishings that are intentionally balanced) tend to be more traditional or formal while asymmetrical arrangements feel more casual and relaxed.
- When possible, arrange furnishings to encourage easy conversation.
- Sectional sofas are a great solution for open floorplans and oddly shaped rooms.
- Consider storage, versatility and comfort as you plan your space.
The addition of new furnishings can instantly refresh a room. Plan your ideal furniture arrangement with our Room Planner and enjoy the benefits of a well-designed space.